The Scientific and Technical Center of Export and Import of Special Technologies, Hardware, and Materials (STC) is a non-governmental organization within the export control system in Ukraine. It was established in 1997 at the initiative of the Ministry of Industrial Policy of Ukraine, with the consent of the State Service of Export Control of Ukraine. Its mission is to assist actors of foreign economic activities in the practical implementation of the export control-related legislative and regulatory documents and to create conditions for enterprises to efficiently carry out foreign economic activity.
In its activities STC strives to:
- form a non-governmental opinion on vital export control issues and to provide unbiased and objective information in this field;
- identify prospecting directions and trends in the field of export control;
- assist government agencies, industry, scientific institutions in strict compliance with export control rules and regulations;
- build long-term and productive relations with foreign governmental and non-governmental organizations operating in the field of non-proliferation and export controls.
STC carries out its activities in the following main areas:
Cooperation with foreign governmental and non-governmental organizations, including:
- Swedish Radiation Safety Authority (SSM);
- Argonne National Laboratory, US Department of Energy;
- Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA), Germany;
- Contractors of the Department of Commerce - Commonwealth Trading Partners, Inc, USA and PSA Inc.
- study of international experience in the field of export control, nonproliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD), and counter-terrorist activities;
- analysis of international and national problems in the field of non-proliferation and export controls;
- study of general trends of national export control systems and synthesis of international experience in this field;
- research and implementation of effective methods for operation of internal compliance programs;
- expert assistance to Ukrainian enterprises and organizations on compliance with export control procedures and rules;
- preparing research papers with proposals and recommendations on amendments and additions for the export control legislation of Ukraine.
- conducting of preliminary commodity identification of goods and provision of skilled assistance to companies on export control rules and procedures;
- assisting exporters in obtaining licenses from the state agencies of Ukraine;
- organizing trainings for the industry personnel on the export control issues, expert surveys, questionnaires, etc.
Information and outreach activities
- elaboration, preparation and implementation of training programs, teaching materials and manuals on the issues of nonproliferation and export controls;
- holding 60-hours training courses on export control and WMD non-proliferation for the specialist and advance training for Ukrainian industry;
- online information on WMD nonproliferation and export control developments.
- Specialized magazines "Security and nonproliferation" and "Export Control Newsletter";
- Training manual: “Export Control in the International Security System”;
- Commentary to the Law of Ukraine “On the State Control over International Transfers of Military and Dual-Use Goods”;
- Ukrainian Export Control Handbook
STC has 20 years of experience in organizing and conducting educational and business events of different level and scale - presentations, workshops, conferences, round-table meetings and outreach programs. Among our clients - Swedish Radiation Safety Authority (SSM), Argonne National Laboratory, US Department of Energy, Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA), Commercial Law Development Program (CLDP) of the Department of Commerce. More information is here.